James P. Waltz, P.E., C.E.M., FACFE, FCABE
Track E | Energy Basics
James P. Waltz, P.E., C.E.M., F,A.C.F.E., FCABE, is an acknowledged pioneer in the field of energy management. Prior to the Arab Oil Embargo of 1973, Mr.
Waltz made a personal commitment to energy management as a principal focus of his engineering career. Since that time, he has served as energy management
program manager for the Air Force Logistics Command and the University of California's Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. In addition he has worked
as an energy management engineer for consulting and contracting firms. In 1981 he founded Energy Resource Associates for the purpose of helping to
shape the then-emerging energy services industry - and did so through a multiyear assignment to create a (still) very successful energy services business
unit for a Fortune 500 temperature controls manufacturer.
Specializing in renewing the mechanical, electrical and control system infrastructure of
existing buildings, notable projects have included:
• design of replacement chilled water plants for a number of California hospitals and a world-famous County Civic Center building
• on-site recommissioning and expansion of the entire building automation and digital control system for a large Northern-California hospital
• investigation and remediation (and related expert testimony) on numerous HVACrelated building system failures, including building pressurization
• audit and expert testimony relating to failed energy services performance contracts for a large southern California hospital and a large Texas school district
• DSM project quality control and performance review, energy auditing and HVAC training for a California utility company
• development, management and measurement & verification of performance
contracting programs for numerous clients, including the Veterans Administration and the California State University
• development of the State of California's first energy services performance contracting program (as the sole consultant to the State on this program)
Mr. Waltz's credentials include BSME and MBA degrees, professional engineering registration in three states, founding member, Certified Energy Manager
(CEM) and Green Building Engineer (GBE) of the Association of Energy Engineers (AEE), member of the Demand Side Management Society (DSMs) and the
American Society of Heating Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), and is a Board-Certified Forensics Engineer and Fellow of the
American College of Forensic Examiners as well as a
fellow of the Chartered Association of Building Engineers. A noted speaker and widely-published author, Mr. Waltz was named International Energy Engineer of the Year for 1993 by the Association of Energy Engineers, elected to AEE’s Hall of Fame in 2005, and AEE’s Scholarship Chair from 2001 to 2012, has taught performance contracting and building simulation seminars for AEE (and published books on both these topics through The Fairmont Press), taught engineering courses at the University of California, Berkeley and San Francisco State University, serves on the Editorial Advisory Board for HPAC Engineering magazine, and was a member of the DOE's 1997 International Performance Measurement & Verification Protocol (IPMVP) Technical Committee.
No Spam - only latest news, program and activity updates!